First chartered by the Georgia State Legislature in May, 1965, the Housing Authority of the City of Covington completed the construction of the city’s first Public Housing units in 1969 at the Alcovy Road location. That first development was comprised of a total of 41 buildings of various sized apartments (from 1 bedroom to 5 bedrooms) for total of 180 low-rent housing units.
In 1981, the Authority expanded by constructing an additional 68 housing units. Forty-four units were built off Industrial Boulevard at Fowler Court and another 24 units were built just off Highway 36 South at Jackson and Taylor Street.
And finally in 1982, the Authority constructed its final development of 32 units off Turner Lake Road at Holmes Court. This brought the total inventory of Public Housing to 280 housing units.
In 1998, Congress passed the Quality Housing and Work Responsibility Act (QHWRA) which amended the United States Housing Act of 1937 by adding a limitation to the number of housing units that could receive subsidy. This “Faircloth Limit” stated that a Public Housing Agency (PHA) could not receive funding for units that exceed the number of units the PHA had as of October 1st, 1999. As a result, the Covington PHA cannot receive any funding for any units that exceed 280.