The Executive Director reports to the Board of Commissioners and is responsible for the planning, direction, coordination, and management of the Covington Housing Authority.
Work involves the responsibility for planning, organizing and directing the operation of all multi-family and affordable housing programs for the Housing Authority of the City of Covington and any new programs as directed by the U.S. Housing Act of 1937, and as amended. The Director also serves as Secretary-Treasurer and Contracting Officer for the Housing Authority of the City of Covington. Performance of the Duties requires application of executive skills, knowledge of multi-family housing, finance and accounting, as well as the ability to research and evaluate new sources of housing assistance and plan and administer comprehensive housing programs for low-income citizens. Duties require the exercise of initiative, ingenuity, tact and considerable public relations skills. Direct supervision is exercised over supervisory and administrative personnel and general supervision over all employees of the Housing Authority of the City of Covington. Work is performed with independent action, subject only to broad program objectives, direction of the Commissioners and pertinent federal laws, rules and regulations.
Examples of Duties:
- Executes all resolutions and orders for the Housing Authority of the City of Covington and requirements of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, preparing and signing contracts, agreements and other instruments and organizing staff to carry out programs.
- Assure that the Authority receives the proper public services in accordance with the P.I.L.O.T. Agreement (police and fire protection, garbage service, adequate street and lighting maintenance, etc.)
- Administers all phases of Housing Authority’s projects', operations, consulting subordinates in conferences, reviewing records and reports.
- Keeps all members of the Board of Commissioners informed of current situations, and consults with them as required on matters of policy; arranges for Board meetings, plans Board agendas, provides documentation and support for agenda items, explains recommendations and answers questions.
- Attends Board meetings, advising and recommending on policies and matters related to the Authority, including fiscal affairs, development and construction of projects, operation and maintenance of present properties.
- Actively supervises the preparation of financial and statistical reports and annual budgets
- Acts as Secretary to the Board of Commissioners; preparing and keeping a record of proceedings; assures that the official minute book is properly prepared and secured.
- Consults Authority’s legal counsel on new resolutions of Board, contracts, agreements or other matters requiring legal interpretation or advice.
- Maintains all contracts, agreements, documents and records for the Authority and keeps its official seal, affixing seal as required for legal compliance.
- Participates in the handling of bids, supervising the advertising, evaluating bids received, and making recommendations to the Board concerning the awarding of contracts.
- Keeps informed about multi-family housing matters by careful study of HUD regulations, laws and ordinances, and publications related to public housing matters.
- Consults with individuals, groups or agencies to sponsor legislation beneficial to Authority’s interest and to develop health, education, welfare and recreation programs for residents.
- Maintains public relations and attends public meetings as Authority’s representative; conducts tours and releases information to press, radio and interested members of the public.
- Keeps abreast of funds appropriated by Congress and made available through HUD and other resources for modernization, security, resident services and utilities, in order to insure maximum utilization of resources for continuing improvement of Housing Authority properties and services.
- Routinely evaluate employees’ performance, addressing strengths and weaknesses as warranted.
- Conduct annual evaluation of employees according to personnel procedures.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Supervises receipt of federal contributions, payment of the City of Covington’s payment in lieu of taxes, insurance coverage and collection of fees or payments due the Authority.
The Executive Director must fulfill the performance standards of this position and comply with policies, rules and procedures of the company, including those set out in the Employee Handbook or otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to employees. In addition, they must present a professional appearance at all times. They must be detailed oriented with a strong work ethic, and possess the ability to take initiative and work independently. They must have and/or develop knowledge of:
- Thorough knowledge of the purposes, policies, and regulations of the Housing Authority as established by the Board of Commissioners or as set forth by HUD Regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of the plans, programs, budgetary needs, and organizational structure of the Housing Authority of the City of Covington.
- Thorough knowledge of the federal and state, local laws and ordinances governing the operation of the Authority, including health and fire regulations, landlord-resident relationships, leasing of property, evictions, land acquisition and relocations.
- Considerable knowledge of laws and regulations governing bonded indebtedness, handling of bids, and preparation and execution of contracts and agreements.
- Considerable knowledge of the function and organization of the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Considerable knowledge of the organization and programs of community agencies and groups that can give assistance to the Housing program or to health, welfare and recreation needs of the residents.
- Considerable knowledge of the organizational structure of the local governments and their short and long-range housing and community development goals.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the operation of a housing authority.
- Ability to train new employees and to plan and supervise the work of subordinates.
- Ability to understand, act on, and interpret policies, regulations, and procedures as set forth in the HUD regulations.
- Ability to compile and analyze comprehensive, factual, financial reports and data.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the general public, residents, federal, state and local officials, and civic and community organizations.
- Ability to establish and promote effective working relationships with other Authority employees and to work harmoniously with groups and organizations in the community.
- Desirable Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with training in Business of Public Administration, or a related field; considerable progressively responsible experience in financial planning, administrative management, public administration, property management, multi-family housing; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Necessary Special Requirements:
- Certification as a professional Public Housing Manager.
- Possession of a valid State of Georgia Class I motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Ability to be bonded up to $100,000.00 fidelity bond.
- Demonstrate ability to diffuse and respond to customer concerns to avoid escalation of the problem.
- Must have a dependable car, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance
- Ability and willingness to travel and work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to diffuse and respond to customer concerns to avoid escalation of problems.
- Employees must fulfill the performance standards of this position and comply with policies, rules and procedures of the company, including those set out in the Employee Handbook or otherwise communicated (verbally or writing) to employees.
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive and may be changed to meet housing authority and HUD requirements and regulations. Final employment decision is subject to applicant passing extensive background, credit, and reference checks and drug testing.
Please email resume to email@example.com.
Resume MUST be received by April 14, 2017.